Sunday, October 21, 2012

Employee Development


This week’s blog is actually a Power Point presentation showing an approach to employee development.  Employee development is more than just training and companies should take time to consider what employee development really means and how to implement.




Along with this presentation is my personal development plan – these are the areas into which I would like to expand my knowledge base.
1.       Online University – I need to continue my current work in pursuit to gain my Master’s Degree in Instructional Design and Technology.
2.       Mentor program – I would  like to work together with someone who can provide guidance in my current role and expand my role to utilize what I have learned thus far in my pursuit of my Master’s Degree.  I understand the old saying, “If you don’t use it, you lose it” and I do not want that to happen with the information I have gathered with my degree.  The company has supported my position by providing tuition reimbursement so I would think they would want to have me use what new training/information I have acquired.
3.       Coaching program – I would like to offer my services to help coach new trainers coming onto the team.  I have had years of experience both in training and the technology world and I would like to utilize this information to help others in their career.  Coaching will also help me fulfill my personal need to help others obtain what they need or looking to gain out of their jobs.
4.       Job Rotation – If at all possible I think we should start a job rotation program.  The team has grown immensely and it would be helpful to see what others on the team experience so we can all perform better in our main roles.  When rotating to different positions each person will learn what is needed to be successful in that particular role and it is a great way to find out what is of interest to us.  It is hard to know what direction to pursue when one is not sure what the other roles are and what is expected in those roles.  This could help with the “where do you see yourself in 5 years” question which is reviewed during every evaluation.
5.       Job Enlargement – while coaching is in and of itself a job enlargement, I would like to help out where ever my skills are needed on the team.  After the completion of my degree (which should hopefully be the end of this year) I will have more time to devote to extra responsibilities in my career.  I am not a person that does well sitting still and I would like to fill that time with helpful work.
6.       Volunteer work – again with the completion of my degree and the large integration/conversion project I would like to take time to give back to the community.  I know the company is an advocate for such things and I have been lax about getting involved – I would like this to change next year.
Those are the items that are imporatnt to my personal development.  There is a lot in that list and while I hope to do it all I know it is a large undertaking.  Some items are shorter in duration than others so instead of 6 it is probably more like 4.
Helene A. Smith
References

Noe, R. A. (2010). Employee training and development (5th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill. 
Pace, A. (2010). UNLEASHING POSITIVITY IN THE WORKPLACE. T+D, 64(1), 40-44.

2 comments:

  1. I like your PowerPoint presentation and how you embeded it into your blog like we were supposed to do. I think I fell a bit short in this regard and I didn't include a voiceover to my PowerPoint presentation like you did. I really like how you did this and wish I saw your blog before I completed mine. I think my blog could use a few changes based on what I see here. It's great that you have so many personal goals set for yourself and I like how you want to give back to your job that supported you throughout this process on obtaining your degree. We are almost there it feels a little unreal but we are almost at the finish line. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helene,
    Employee Development Plan
    If I were your manager, I would give you the budget you needed. Your PowerPoint was very thorough and very well done. You did a nice job selecting formal and elearning opportunities for your plan. I liked the idea of an In-house training facility and that you emphasized that it allowed the learner to focus on the training. I also appreciated that you mentioned the need to address the employees personal development needs in addition to the companies needs. You made a good point that the use of computer learning modules would enhance the use of the companies Intranet.
    On the Job experience, mentoring and coaching slide you describe job enlargement and job rotation. If you were doing this for real you would want to give a specific example of each; same with coaching and mentorships. You did a great job stressing the value for a company to promote positivity in the work place. I particularly liked your Learning Management Slide information. Great job describing the 360 degree evaluation process and how you would link it to the use of coaches and mentors.

    Personal Development Plan
    I would like to have heard more on how you will use your degree in IDT at the start of your plan. Coaching will not only help to fulfill your personal need to help others, it will provide a valuable learning experience and allow you to master your current knowledge and skills. Not to mention helping you further develop your interpersonal relationship skills. I think the idea of job rotation for your team is a great idea and will promote professional development and more importantly allow everyone to gain an appreciation for what each of you do. Volunteering can also be an excellent learning experience. Not only can you give back to the community; you can learn skills they can't teach you in school. Great job this week.
    Dr. Burke

    ReplyDelete